The City of Zanesville operates two cemeteries. Greenwood on the east end of town and Woodlawn to the south. Both cemeteries are over 100 acres each.
Greenwood Cemetery was formed in 1835 and has 47,000 graves spaces. It was the first public cemetery in Zanesville and was called the City Cemetery until changed to its present name in 1885. The stone arch at the entrance was erected in 1887 when the name was changed from City Cemetery. At that time the cemetery was out in the country. It was reached by pedestrians on a board walk up the hill along the National Road.
New Soldier’s Field in Greenwood Cemetery contains space for 430 graves. The first veteran buried in Soldier1’s Plot was William Dennison, who fought in the Revolutionary War.
Woodlawn Cemetery was dedicated June 8, 1853 and has 55,000 grave spaces. It was started as a private cemetery by the people of Putnam. Since Putnam was then a separate corporation the people felt they needed a burial place separate from the City of Zanesville. When Putnam was annexed in 1872, the City took over the care and operation of the Cemetery.
Soldier’s Circle was established in 1862 and first enlarged in 1885. In June, 1963, 350 additional grave sites were made available and was called Veterans Memorial Gardens.
Veterans Memorial Gardens
In 1994 The Annex to Veterans Memorial Gardens was opened.
The two city cemeteries have 5 Civil War Generals interred. One Andersonville survivor and even one Confederate Soldier.
- Care and upkeep of Woodlawn and Greenwood Cemeteries
- Provide information on genealogy as needed
- Handle day to day interments as needed
Standard Services Provided
- Maintenance and upkeep of cemetery grounds
Areas of Service Not Generally Known
- Lot sales, genealogy research, interment records
- Maintenance programs for cemetery grounds